Why vaccinate in the skin?
Where a muscle provides movement, the skin provides protection. The skin has an abundance of specialised immune cells, 50 times more than in the blood.
A vaccine must attach to immune cells to protect a pig from infectious disease. Vaccinating directly into the skin rapidly delivers the long-lasting desired immunity.
IDAL, the revolutionary vaccination technology from MSD Animal Health, offers unprecedented benefits for farmers, processors and to the animal’s welfare.
The needle-free vaccination technique is not only reliable and effective but also user friendly. The IDAL can be used for the three most common pig diseases: PCV2, PRRS and Mycoplasma infections.
Users can vaccinate large numbers of pigs in a short time. Under high, constant pressure, 0.2 ml of vaccine is administered into the skin.
Where can you vaccinate?
The IDAL is best used in places where the skin is not too thick, stiff or hairy and is not against the bone or a fat layer. In piglets this can be in the neck, along the muscles on the back or in the ham. In sows it is behind the ears in the neck.
Features and benefits:
- Using the IDAL means needle-free vaccinations into the skin (intradermal) of the pig. Many pathogens such as PRRS and PCV2 can be found in infected animals in the blood and tissue fluids. Using the IDAL, these and other germs no longer can be transferred from one pig to another.
- The small vaccine volume (0.2 ml vs 2 ml) reduces the risk of side effects.
- Less pain perception Flexibility in the choice of the vaccination site for piglets
- Less stressful for the pigs
- No risk of infection transmission through the needle
- No risk of breakage of the needle in the pig
- Cost saving as fewer actions needed at processing.
- Broken needles and injection site reactions lead to loss of valuable muscle tissue. Using the IDAL removes the chance of this occurring because there are simply no needles used.
The Pig Farmers:
- The IDAL offers flexibility with a range of vaccines to cover the most significant pathogens, their vaccines are Porcilis PCV ID, Porcilis M Hyo ID Once and Porcilis PRRS.
- No need to change needles- safer for the operator and saves time.
- Built in operator safety features reduces risk of self-injection.
- Simple to use.