Generally horses prefer to be out at pasture so they are able to express their natural behaviour. However in some situations, for example during the winter or due to injury, horses are confined to a stable.
In these situations it may be necessary to relieve the boredom and some of the tips below might help. However, every horse is different and what works for one horse might not work for another.
- Make sure your horse can see others nearby
- Give them a football to play with
- Have a radio on in the background
- Fit a stable mirror
- Give them some stable toys to play with - there are a wide variety available
- Bore a hole through a swede or turnip and hang it on a string from the ceiling
- Make sure they have plenty of forage to eat
- Spend time grooming your horse
Remember that, in most cases of box rest, it will be necessary to change your horse’s diet. See Feeding a sick or injured horse.