Contains oxytocin to initiate strong, regular and purposeful contractions of the uterine muscle.
Oxytocin-S is a clear aqueous solution
Active substance per ml: Oxytocin acetate 0.18 mg (equivalent to 10 iu oxytocin) and Chlorbutanol hemihydrate 5.254 mg (equivalent to 5 mg Chlorbutanol)
Goats, horses, pigs, sheep, cats, cattle, dogs
Indications for use
- Stimulation of uterine contraction to facilitate parturition in the presence of a fully dilated cervix
- To promote involution of the post-parturient uterus and thus aid the passage of retained placenta
- To aid in the control of post-partum haemorrhage
- Promotion of milk `let-down' in cases of agalactia and to facilitate `stripping out' of infected quarters in the treatment of mastitis in cows
Oxytocin-S will initiate strong, regular and purposeful contractions of the uterine muscle especially in the later stages of pregnancy and post-partum. It also evokes the 'let-down' of milk although it has no action on the smooth muscles of the gut or urinary bladder, nor is it effective in the treatment of diabetes insipidus. The absence of vasopressor and antidiuretic effects make it particularly suitable for obstetric use (stimulation of parturition, promotion of uterine involution and control of postpartum haemorrhage) and the treatment of agalactia.
- Cattle - milk 0 hours, meat 0 days
- Sheep – milk 0 hours, meat 0 days
- Goat – milk 0 hours, meat 0 days
- Pig - meat 0 days
- Horse – meat 0 days
For full information please refer to the product data sheet. Further information is available on request.
Use Medicines Responsibly. For more information please refer to the Responsible Use sections of the NOAH website.
If you are not the prescribing veterinary surgeon, advice should be sought from the medicine prescriber.
Date of preparation: January 2018